Some strange facts on IMPDB

Tell us what you think of the database, the forum, and what features you would like to see added!
LVCDC

Some strange facts on IMPDB

Post by LVCDC »

1) why when I click on the Movie List then on a letter (to quickly access a title in the bottom alphabetics), I'm lougout ?
Same thing when I'm clicking on P or T (or every other letter) on the [[Category:Aircraft List]].

2) I'm surprised to be unable to find Curtiss among the Manufacturer List as four sub-categories are ready (Curtis JN, P-36, P-40 and C-46) ?

3) Recent changes are usefull for redactors but displays too much information for a visitor ; why not list new pages like on IMCDB home page ?

4) I've found several pages with no pictures.
I myself encountered problem to upload some of them but I've eventually fix it in a few days.
My query is :
how to detect pages made months (or years!) ago and without updates ?
(a page with just the movie poster has few interest, isn't it ?)

5) Category:Unidentified Aircraft
I don't understand why there are 68 unidentified aircrafts but only 39 contents are listed.
For example, [[Wysokie loty]] is on the bottom list but not in the contents (so the Unidentified Aircraft can't be seen on this dedicated page but only on the movie page !

Regards.

BTW, if you have enough time and are still in favour a specific category about fictionnal aircrafts.
See http://www.impdb.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... p=982#p982
Bthebest
Global Mod

Re: Some strange facts on IMPDB

Post by Bthebest »

Thanks for your feedback, it's good to be able to know this information so we can improve the site.

In response:

1) Not sure why it does that for you, it doesn't for me. One of the HTML editors may be able to give more insight.

2) Nice spot. A category does exist as "Curtiss-Wright", which was the merged company that manufactured the majority of Curtiss aircraft, even under just the Curtiss name. It hadn't however been categorised to the Manufacturer List, but I have now fixed that.

3) I think having it there is useful for contributors, rather than having to go through "Special Pages". But having the New Pages is a good idea and hopefully some other Admins will see this and agree, then we can implement it.

4) Only way I can think of is to go here: http://impdb.org/index.php?title=Special:ShortPages. A lot of these are pages that were created incorrectly, so I'll go through and delete them shortly. If you find one without pictures, obviously add them if you can but otherwise leave it as it could encourage visitors to add to it. I'll come up with a banner to put on such pages, encouraging new contributors.

5) This is because Movie Pages are automatically added to the category through the [[Category:"Movie Name"]] tag, but it is up to the editor to manually add the image and subtitle to the page, which isn't always done. Feel free to go through the list and add to the page as you see fit.

Thanks!
Tim - IMPDb Administrator
Aircraft 'Expert'
LVCDC

Post by LVCDC »

Thanks for your quick response !
tleeg
Site Admin

Post by tleeg »

I have been interested in creating a couple easy to read lists for the home page for a little while. Now that I know that it's not just me, I will get on it. I feel it would be a great addition to the site.

Thanks for the information and feedback. Myself and the other administrators will look deeper into all these things.
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

About 1st point :
I've changed my PC and browse now with W7 and still Firefox. All is fine.
My first note is outdated; it was probably a configuration bug...

About 5th point :
still the limited number of pictures regarding the page concerned.
As the list is growing and growing, why not....

* put an aleatory displaying along all the pictures ?
and/or
* list the movie with such "unidentified aircraft" the most recent first ?
(as by alphabetical order, it's not easy to detect a new one among those with perpetual insolved riddle).
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

Two categories in conflict : KAmov 27 & Kamov Ka-27/28/29/32

Both are on the page of Kamov !
But one has no linked movie !
(perhaps a switch done by Sixcyl but uncomplete ?)

And what about these pages :
http://impdb.org/index.php?title=Kamov_Ka-29
http://impdb.org/index.php?title=Kamov_Ka-50

About the second one, if I remember well, 3loader was so enthusiastic that he built the page once a single movie with the Ka-50 performing inside was listen.

Sorry !
I've again built a wrong page : The Flight of the Intruder.

The right title is now on the right page. So could erase [[The Flight of the Intruder]].
Many thanks !

Why did we kept this page : [[Flight]] ?
the full movie is now there : [[Flight (2012)]]

Thanks for your help !
Bthebest
Global Mod

Post by Bthebest »

For the 'Unidentified Aircraft' page:

Yes there definitely needs to be improvement on how the page is formatted. Unfortunately, no one has had the time to look into it in detail yet. I will try and look at this in the coming months, and will take your ideas on board, but may be limited by formatting restrictions.

For your latest post, thanks for highlighting all these little errors, I have corrected everything where needs be.
Aircraft 'Expert'
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

I was ready to create a page about Il mostro.
A quick check to the Movie List at the I letter stopped me but I noticed that the alphabetical order is not respected.
Four movies at least are in disoder as shown with this screensot.

For your information.
BTW, many thanks for all the usual and unsung work to keep the wiki "in good health".
Bthebest
Global Mod

Post by Bthebest »

Aahhh the delights of computer codes. It's all because of how it's sorted alphabetically.

If you look at the top if the 'I' list, you'll notice it sorts by capitalised letters first - for whatever initial reason, these seemingly disordered pages had been overridden to give the second word a capital letter. I've reverted it now so they're all the same.

It gives another question though: Should we allow it to continue sorting automatically or, override it in the case of non-english films where the second word isn't capitalised?

Also, what about punctuation marks?
Aircraft 'Expert'
LVCDC2

Post by LVCDC2 »

I'm not really convinced by your explanation...

Il capo dei capi
Il giovedi
Il burlero

c / g / b !

Well...
It doesn't matter if you find how to solve such "bug".

And as you asked, let's think a better rule.

It's not easy as using the search tool is unsatisfactory.
For example, Flying Tigers is a title used sevreal times. So it's better to put the year following the movie name (1942).
But how to be sure that everybody (mainly new contributors) have the idea to distinct two movies by their year of release (if they know it ! I'm sometimes surprised by the number of movies sharing the same title !).

So using the movie list is a securiity and so, the order must be the right one.

Unfortunately, I have no idea for the good rule and solution ! :(