Welcome to IMPDb!
Dedicated to identifying aircraft throughout Movies, Television, and Video Games!
- 1 Welcome!
- 2 Thank You
- 3 World War Z
- 4 Hyphen in aircraft manufacturer
- 5 Questions
- 6 Russian / Soviet Movies
- 7 Good News About the Picture Uploading
- 8 Aircraft Category
- 9 R.U.S.E.
- 10 New Categories (and Unidentified one)
- 11 RE: Homepage
- 12 Empty Category
- 13 El Dorado (2010)
- 14 Minimising Image Use
- 15 New Categories (Airlines / Air Forces)
- 16 Links between IMCDB and IMPDB
- 17 Images for Deletion
- 18 Links between IMCDB and IMPDB (step 2)
- 19 Thanks For Your Sharp Eye !
- 20 Links between IMCDB and IMPDB (step 3)
- 21 Cathay Pacific Airways
- 22 RE: A Few Things
- 23 Braathens
- 24 Wanted Categories
- 25 Access to IMPDB
- 26 CAAC
- 27 Sterling
- 28 Five Pictures Per Aircraft
- 29 IMPDB New Start
- 30 Deletion
Welcome to IMPDb! Just been going through some of the latest additions and noticed some quality contributions by yourself. Its great to see new users on here, especially those with great contributions as well. Keep up the good work, and if you have any questions, feel free to post on my talk page. Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 15:47, 21 June 2013 (MDT)
- Thanks for the warm welcome! Corkeyandpals 21:22, 21 June 2013 (MDT)
You are doing a great job and we at IMPDb really appreciate all your hard work! Keep it up and let us know if there's anything we can do for you. If you have any suggestions or improvement ideas, feel free to share them on the forum.
Tobin Lee 22:38, 24 August 2013 (MDT)
World War Z
You added two pictures to the movie's page but I think it would be better to put them on the Discussion tab as they didn't show the plane as seen on the screen. Or a link to the forum where a dedicated topic already exists. LVCDC 04:54, 25 November 2013 (MST)
Hyphen in aircraft manufacturer
I've engaged a wide change on all pages of aircraft manufacturer needing hyphens, in order to recover a clean list of aircraft with no mixture between types of aircraft and types of manufacturers, when new names results from merge between two different manufacturers. For instance:
Before this change, list of Fairchild aircraft appeared as:
Fairchild C-82 Packet
Fairchild Hiller FH-1100
Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderboldt II
Since the move of Fairchild Hiller to Fairchild-Hiller, the order of the list is more correct with non split alphabetic order on the Fairchild aircraft:
Fairchild C-82 Packet
Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderboldt II
Therefore all the following aircraft list are concerned too:
Boeing Vertol ==> Boeing-Vertol (done)
Fairchild Swearingen (done)
Grumman American (done)
North American Rockwell (done)
Hawker Siddeley (on work)
I don't think it's necessary to put a redirection advise on the previous page (with no hyphen) because it pollutes the new aircraft page with a useless SUB CATEGORY. So I prefer to blank them definitively. With use, every body will go easily into this. Thanks. Sixcyl 07:08, 15 December 2013 (MST)
Thanks for asking first.
1. There has been some discussion on this, and I think we agreed it was OK as it highlights they're not real aircraft, which depending on the film might not be obvious to everyone.
2. As the above is OK, this is too.
3. We have agreed in the past against commercials. Not really the aim of the site.
Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 11:20, 17 February 2014 (MST)
Russian / Soviet Movies
I'm glad that you post several movies of the former Eastern Block as IMPDB was suffering a big lack about some of te most important aircraft types.
As cyrilic alphabet isn't allow among title (and I think it's a sad rule which cut us from most of these populations), I think it's strange to give registrations in CCCP- form. This should be SSSR- isn't. Or like I try to do from now, to give them (like movie's title) in both alphabets. Your advice will be precious in order we can work with the same rule. Regards. LVCDC 16:51, 25 February 2014 (MST)
- Thanks for your reply ; I'm too split between using cyrillic (which gives more results through a search engine as you say) and latin alphabet (which is in accordance with companies names and types use in section's titles). In order to search among movies on IMPDB, we must say what we'll do. Or ask to the admin ... LVCDC 19:01, 25 February 2014 (MST)
- You've -and Sixcyl too- convieced me and I will correct all the SSSR- registrations I've written these last weeks. LVCDC 12:16, 13 March 2014 (MDT)
Good News About the Picture Uploading
Not fully fixed, the bug about the automatic resizing of the screenshot uploaded is no more a problem. Just take care to preview the page. If the 500 pixel display doesn't work, try again a preview or reloaded the picture. Look at 1984 for example. LVCDC 12:16, 13 March 2014 (MDT)
Why did you create these pseudo categories "Aircraft" redirected to "Category:aircraft" ?Sixcyl 01:13, 17 March 2014 (MDT)
- By the way, when you create a new category, please fill the dedicated page instead leaving it blank. With Wikipedia, even if you don't know the story of this aircraft, it's easy to write some lines, just introducing the wiki link. So readers will not click to nowhere. Thanks to think about this. LVCDC 08:14, 24 March 2014 (MDT)
It seems that you created a section for the Mitsubishi Ki-57 but there is no screenshot. Missing picture or aircraft in excess among the inventory ? LVCDC 15:21, 30 March 2014 (MDT)
- You can put a sentence to explain you need a better picture instead to put online an unsatifactory one ... or just "missig picture". LVCDC 16:27, 30 March 2014 (MDT)
New Categories (and Unidentified one)
With your last additions, you won the championship of "the most numerous new categories added through a single page" !
I know it's a little bit boring but now it's time to write some lines about each of them. Otherwise they will be lost among the Unfinished Pages ... Even if you don't know well the aircraft, with the help of wikipedia, a very basic note could be easily put online.
BTW, please do not add Unidentified Aircraft to the footnote section. First, the category is taken in account even if it is placed elsewhere. Next, when someone want to help and give the exact type, he changes the section title but most of the time forgets to erase the Unidentified Aircraft among the footnote section ! And so the movie's page is still among the page dedicated to Unidentified Aircrafts summarize. Third, when a new page includes several aircrafts not identified, when identifications are made one after one through days and different contributors, it's sometime hard to know if there is still a machine which need to be named (Imean especially to the biggest pages). So to put category AND unidentification "name" on the same line (just before the pictures) could help for future updates. Of course, others categories are grouped in the bottom to help to identify if no one is missing.
If you want to reply, please write it there; it's easier for a third person to read your answer there instead to track your comment on my page. LVCDC 03:24, 2 May 2014 (MDT)
Hi, thanks for pointing it out. I will have a look at it when I next get a chance. Let me know if there are some good quality pages we should promote on the Homepage, and I'll take some pics from there. Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 15:24, 9 May 2014 (MDT)
Hi, Could you explain why you create categories but don't fill them ? Already 26 (most of your own) aircraft categories without a line (with the last one -Nakajima G5N- built alongside the coding of N.Y., N.Y.). Perhaps are you unpleased to write a short text about these planes but if yes, don't create it and so readers would not be put in error when they hope to find some data on these aircrafts. LVCDC 16:58, 14 June 2014 (MDT)
First off, I feel that leaving categories as red links is better than creating them but leaving the page blank because it makes them easier to find when I finally get around to writing them. It also doesn't fool readers into thinking there's writing on them when there's not. Secondly, I believe the primary purpose of having aircraft categories is allowing readers to find other films and things that feature that aircraft, rather than inform them about the aircraft. That's why the pages have Wikipedia links. So, I create categories before writing them so readers know that aircraft can be seen in multiple works on the site. The synopsis is less necessary, and can wait until I or someone else has time to write them. Corkeyandpals 17:30, 14 June 2014 (MDT)
I disagree about your last sentence : readers don't need categories to find aircraft as there is a SEARCH tool (otherwise, how to find an airplane seen only in one page ?). The short text could wait some times but only for a limited cases. When their number is growing and growing, such pages end to be false friends for the user. Yes, the red color indicates that the page is empty but how to detect them by an anonymous reader ? That's why the banner unfinished has been created (in fact, to detect and identify easily movie pages built by a passing contributor who never finish its work ... sometimes since several years !). I think a wiki needs deep work, not only to flutter. LVCDC 11:43, 15 June 2014 (MDT)
El Dorado (2010)
The two big pipes on the side of the engine nacelles don't suit with Cessna T-303, so I put the aircraft back to unidentified (I've probably note a wrong registration but I can't find again the action to verify and fix it). Well ... Prison is now again the single movie with a Cessna T-303. Will you supress the category or do you hope for another movie soon ?
BTW, thanks for the B-58 Hustler category. Will you write quickly a short text or shall I do it ?
Regards. LVCDC 08:47, 15 August 2014 (MDT)
- Sure, I'll take care of it. Corkeyandpals 09:47, 15 August 2014 (MDT)
- Thanks and good night ! LVCDC 12:28, 15 August 2014 (MDT)
Minimising Image Use
Hi Corkeyandpals, I'm mentioning this to everyone, so nothing personal. The reason for the site going offline recently, and the bigger adverts, is we require more data storage. To try and avoid these problems, we need to be careful about how many images we upload. To achieve this, please only add images to pages that add value - ideally this should be 1 or 2 images of the aircraft, plus a close-up of the registration or other feature if necessary. 5 images is the maximum, not the recommended.
Thanks for all your work and co-operation. Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 14:09, 25 August 2014 (MDT)
- BTW, uploading JPG makes no more trouble and it's four times less space consuming than PNG. Regards. LVCDC 08:47, 21 November 2014 (MST)
New Categories (Airlines / Air Forces)
- Hi Corkeyandpals
- I really disagree the new Airline category usage as we don't have the tools to work easily and quickly with more constrains.
- Now, every picture uploaded should be categorised by aircraft type, company/air force and eventually its location ? As already written on the forum, as categories are sometimes not the most logical (naming a whole production by the first aircraft of a sub-type with a single airframe built [for ex. : Bloch 150 for the 400+ Bloch 152 built]), this leads to many checks and is too much time consuming !
- I'll be OK when the wiki will offer an assistant built up page with drop down lists like | this site (you choose the manufacturer / constructeur and a list of models becomes available). Otherwise, it's too much criteria to check.
- And the category section (bottom of each movie page) will become a nightmare, melting aircraft types with airlines (by chance, common locations don't appear there !).
- Well ! in one word : good idea but wrong timing !
- Regards LVCDC 04:13, 10 December 2014 (MST)
- BTW, do you know how many airlines exist / disapear with a name starting by A letter ? nearly 1500 ! The whole list is four times longer ... LVCDC 04:42, 10 December 2014 (MST)
- Thanks for your reply - look at my own discussion tab for my last words. LVCDC 09:49, 11 December 2014 (MST)
- In order to keep aircraft & airlines categories well splited, I checked the movie pages already updated by Sixcyl and you : I put the airlines at the end of the footnotes, after all the aircraft categories (after all, we are on IMPDB not IMADB, isn't it ?). This will help to check if all categories of each type are well listed especially for the biggest projects as like as Dangers dans le ciel/Mayday. one's hat off! guys ! LVCDC 20:34, 13 December 2014 (MST)
Links between IMCDB and IMPDB
Please, could you add an IMPDB link (http://impdb.org/index.php?title= ...) to the the following IMCDB pages :
- Gagarin. Pervyy v kosmose on 
- The Expendables 3 on 
- Das Boot on 
- Go Fast on 
- It Happened One Night on 
- Chikyū Bōeigun on 
- Le raid on 
- Suivez cet avion on 
- Good Will Hunting on 
- Catch Me If You Can on 
- Leon Garros iŝet druga on 
- Family Portrait on 
- ROCK'Y on 
- Echappement libre on 
- Emperor on 
- Des hommes et des dieux on 
- Heaven Can Wait on 
- Jackie Brown on 
- La môme on 
- Le crocodile du Botswanga on 
- Midnight Express on 
- Mississippi Burning on 
- På slaget 8 on 
- Palais Royal ! on 
- Paul on 
- Paths of Glory on 
- Pokhishcheniye "Savoyi" on 
- Pretty Woman on 
- Pure Luck on 
- Cool Runnings on 
BTW, IMCDB has no page about Flying Businessman (12 min long documentary but most of the cars are seen between 2:00 and 3:00) but I think it should be...
Many, many thanks ! LVCDC 22:11, 13 December 2014 (MST)
- Alright, I've added all of the links. As for adding Flying Businessman, I've honestly never actually added a film to IMCDb, so I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe ask Sixcyl? Corkeyandpals 02:16, 14 December 2014 (MST)
Images for Deletion
Thanks for getting better images and all your other efforts, but a better method is to "Upload a new version of this file", rather than creating a new one. Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 14:39, 19 January 2015 (MST)
- Right, I did that for most of the images on FWA, but some of the earlier ones were .jpgs, and the upload tool wouldn't let me upload a new version in .png. I would've done so if it allowed me to. Corkeyandpals 14:44, 19 January 2015 (MST)
Links between IMCDB and IMPDB (step 2)
Hi Corkeyandpals !
On your main page, you put Syŝik but this page doesn't exist ! ?
Here are some new links to add on IMCDB, would you ?
- Rien de grave on 
- A l'origine on 
- Kampf um Norwegen - Feldzug 1940 on 
- Le serpent on 
- Kind Hearts and Coronets on 
- Khronika pikiruyushchego bombardirovshchika on 
- The Untouchables on 
- Sorcerer on  (BTW thanks to OP for the numerous add-ons some days ago)
- Backlight on 
- Carriers on 
Many thanks ! LVCDC 17:30, 23 January 2015 (MST)
- Done. However, the Le serpent on IMCDb is a different version from the one here, so I didn't post the link. And thanks for the heads up about the broken link. Corkeyandpals 21:55, 23 January 2015 (MST)
- Thank you, especially about my bad link with Le serpent (now fixed on the IMPDB page).
- Bis zum Horizont, dann links! is really an aviation movie with much lesser car action. When I watched the movie, I made a capture (on the discussion tab) which could complete the IMCDB page. Thanks to peto1995 to open my eyes ! Have a nice Week-end ! LVCDC 15:48, 31 January 2015 (MST)
- Thank you, especially about my bad link with Le serpent (now fixed on the IMPDB page).
Thanks For Your Sharp Eye !
Thank you to correct the F-84 section on The Hunters. As I'm always working from former page's code, it meant that another one was uncorrect and so I was able to find three other ones. LVCDC 07:41, 9 February 2015 (MST)
Links between IMCDB and IMPDB (step 3)
What are the new links to add on IMCDB since these last six weeks ?
- Radar Men from the Moon on 
- I predatori di Atlantide on 
- Rumor Has It on this page 
- Partizanska eskadrila on 
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on 
- Kingsman: The Secret Service on 
- San Andreas on 
- Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants on 
- Daikyojū Gappa on 
- Birdman on 
- The Da Vinci Code on 
- The Imitation Game on 
- Girara no Gyakushū: Tōyako Samitto Kiki Ippatsu on 
- Quax, der Bruchpilot on 
- Point Break on 
- Drones (2013) on 
- The Outer Limits (1963-1965) on 
- Border on 
One more time, a big thank you for your help ! LVCDC 12:29, 11 March 2015 (MDT)
Cathay Pacific Airways
Hi Chris. It's great to see you continuing the list of Airlines.
About Cathay Pacific, don't you thing it would be better and more accurate to enter the compagny as Cathay Pacific Airways, as it's the genuine Corporate name of it? Sixcyl 21:14, 3 June 2015 (MDT)
- Aye, it probably would. I was going off of Wikipedia's name for it. I'll change 'em then. Corkeyandpals 21:29, 3 June 2015 (MDT)
RE: A Few Things
Added to the sidebar. I have to do the Manufacturer pages individually, so let me know which ones and I'll do it. Thanks for all your efforts. Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 11:08, 16 June 2015 (MDT)
- They should all be accessible now.Bthebest - IMPDb Administrator 09:34, 17 June 2015 (MDT)
Thanks again for this work dear Corkeyandpal. Do we admit the following rule? Airline name in the category list should be the last name used in the story of a company? even if this one was worn for a short time like in this exemple? Company started as Braathens SAFE, but from 1997 to the end in 2004 , the name was Braathens alone. I know it can be odd some times but it may be better (same rule used by wikipedia btw).Sixcyl 15:25, 7 July 2015 (MDT)
- Sure, sounds good. I'll go through and fix the links. Corkeyandpals 15:52, 7 July 2015 (MDT)
Hello, Gasp ! Some categories have already 60 links and no dedicated page ! BTW, what do you think the better if I built a new page : shall I put a category for any airline or not ? (Look at Gung Ho). But we have the risk of lots of categories with a single link (which is against IMPDB rules...). Regards. LVCDC 06:32, 27 September 2015 (MDT)
- Yes, probably best not to add categories for just any airline in new pages, but instead just ones that have either already been created or redlinked. I'll be getting to adding pages for those categories soon, I've been busy with school so I haven't had a lot of time to do so. Corkeyandpals 13:14, 27 September 2015 (MDT)
- You're right ! School first as this time will never occured a second time ! And IMCDB is made by enthusiasts, not professionals so some tasks could wait a lot. LVCDC 14:25, 27 September 2015 (MDT)
- Thank you ! So the Ki-200 was the pending to the J8M ... there is always something to learn every day ! LVCDC 03:28, 8 October 2015 (MDT)
Access to IMPDB
Since nearly ten days, I experienced several times a day this message : "this Wiki has a problem".
All of these bug are short-lived but we are in October and like every year at Fall, I'm frightened of a possible major shutdown of the site. And BtheBest must be very busy; he came a very few times these last six months ...
Any idea ? [same msg post on Sixcyl Talk Page] LVCDC 03:28, 8 October 2015 (MDT)
- I don't know how to avoid another shutdown, but in the event that one does happen I've created a backup site here: http://impdb.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page Maybe we can add pages there while the site is down and copy them over once it goes back up? Corkeyandpals 08:51, 8 October 2015 (MDT)
Hello Corkeyandpals. Thanks again for the amazing job you do on this site!
I wanted to apologize for "having cut the grass under your foot" when doing the file CAAC instead of Civil Aviation Administration of China. I think it's rather convenient to use the acronym for the Airlines, keeping the developped designation for the administration service itself. I hope it wont upset..Sixcyl 01:53, 14 November 2015 (MST)
Sterling Airways beside Sterling Airlines (empty for the moment, but I suggest to keep it in the list), as there is changement of owner, name & logo, and ICAO code after a bankrupcy in 1993.Sixcyl 02:27, 14 November 2015 (MST)
Five Pictures Per Aircraft
Thanks for your work about Flight of the Intruder but why so many screenshots ? 7 for the A-6A and 18 (!) about the A-6E. We are not telling the story through pictures, just identifying aircraft through the most significant shots.
That's why the wiki set this rule : "The number of pictures should be limited to a maximum of 5 per aircraft". And we must keep in mind that the wiki is not infinite (alas !).
Thanks for the effort and long life to our passion ! Regards. LVCDC 13:25, 15 April 2016 (MDT)
IMPDB New Start
Hi Corkeyandpals !
Youre experiencing the same bug : we upload image but they aren't displayed on the page and the "Recent changes" page don't list them. On the movie page, the framework is there but the caption "error 127" is in place of the picture. Neverless, the 'enlarge' button (bottom right) allows to look the full size picture. Do you think better to contact IPMDB brains or to wait a handful days to let them fix the bug ?
BTW, the forum is no longer active (and the link really broken) ...
IMPDB suffured a bug about image resizing. Until the bug is fix, screenshots are display fullsize (without |thumb|500px|, all is right). Regards. LVCDC (talk) 23:59, 26 August 2016 (MDT)
- My hope is that the admins know about the bug and are working to fix it, but yes I agree that if it lasts more than a handful of days we should probably contact them. As for the forum, I'm not sure what to do. Again, hopefully they're aware and working on it. In the meantime, thanks for the tip on making images full-sized, I wasn't sure how to work around the problem myself. Corkeyandpals (talk) 22:23, 27 August 2016 (MDT)